International Symposium Commemorating the Grand Opening of Kyushu University Central Library:
Theme: Academic Libraries Engaging in Internationalization of Higher Education: Toward a World Top University Brand Based in Asia
Since competitions over acquiring global human resources are increasingly becoming fiercer, many countries in Asia are promoting the internationalization of higher education as part of policies to enhance their international competitiveness. The Government of Japan also set a policy “developing global human resources” in the Third Basic Plan for the Promotion of Education FY2018-2022 and showed a group of measures such as support for Japanese students to study abroad and improvement of environment to accept international students.
What and how well can academic libraries contribute to such internationalization of higher education? Kyushu University Library will host the symposium on the theme and share outcomes from some projects including the October 1st grand opening of the new central library. Two invited speakers from Taiwan and Thailand will talk about the current status, mission, goal, future plan, and issues of university libraries in their countries, especially from the aspect of internationalization. (Translation (Japanese / English) is available.)
- Hao-Ren Ke (Professor in Graduate Institute of Library & Information Studies, National Taiwan Normal University, and University Librarian of National Taiwan Normal University, TAIWAN)
- Kulthida Tuamsuk (Associate Professor in Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Khon Kaen University, THAILAND)
- Kazuo Miyamoto (Professor in Faculty of Humanities, Vice President of Kyushu University, and Director of Kyushu University Library, JAPAN)
Date and Time
Friday, December 14th, 2018, 13:00-17:15
Central Library 4th floor Cute.Commons, Kyushu University Ito Campus (744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 819-0385, Japan)
- Anyone interested in the topic is welcome to attend.
- Participation in the symposium is free of charge, but registration is required.
- Registration site HERE. You can register for ALIRG Workshop 2018 simultaneously.
- If you would like to attend this symposium only, please feel free to contact us.
We will hold the following optional events. You can also apply for participation on the registration site.
- Central Library Guided Tour (11:30-12:00)
- Meeting Place: Central Library 4th floor Cute.Commons
- Information exchange meeting with light snacks and drinks (17:45-19:15)
- Venue: Inside Kyushu University Ito Campus
- Fee: 3,000 Yen, only payment by cash will be accepted onsite.
- Host: Kyushu University Library
- Co-Host: Department of Library Science, Graduate School of Integrated Frontier Sciences, Kyushu University
- Support: Kyushu Regional Conference of University Libraries
Symposium Secretariat, Kyushu University Library